Internet addiction – it’s real, it’s in my classroom & South Korea

I found this Flickr service – Photojojo's Time Capsule.
It emails you twice a month with selections of your Flickr uploads from 12 months prior.
Instead of forgetting all about your past life, nurse mind now reminisce happily (or otherwise) about what was going on with you a year ago.

My first was very interesting. It was my last shoot of the cats, and the day I took my ID picture in preparation to go to Vietnam to teach. So, quite a significant day.

Photo jojo’s Photo Time Capsule

This is your first ever capsule!

March 10th to March 24th, 2009
A selection of your most interesting photos from one year ago.

_DSC4263vFinal

One of my two favourite portraits, taken by Ken Warmington

Taken March 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Cats at Window

Cats at study window

Taken March 12, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Cats at Camera

Are these settings right?

Taken March 16, 2009 at 11:38 am

Me_Passport-30D2062

Self-taken passport photo for ESL CV. Ew, ties, glasses and no smiles.

Taken March 13, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Cats at Camera

Rainy day reconnaisance

Taken March 16, 2009 at 11:21 am

Posted via email from RockPortrait in Vietnam

twitter (feed #7)
Twelve months ago being asked, view "Wanna eat snails?" would have turned my stomach. Now, generic it’s normal, fun, delicious & social. [rockportrait]
twitter (feed #7)
Word of the day: Ignoramus – an extremely ignorant person. Circa 1570. Noun. [rockportrait]

I’ve spent the last 10 months of ICT teaching peppering my class activities with requests that students:

a) Stop clicking the mouse
b) Stop using the keyboard
c) Stop staring at the screen

All of these requests are made while I have full control of their computers and the screen is showing a bright yellow box asking them to stare deeply into my eyes so that I can hypnotise them (kidding about the hypnosis bit, drugs I haven’t learned that yet).

When I let them work on practical activities I almost always have to discipline someone in the class for straying onto Yahoo chat or an online game while they’re supposed to be working.

This week I decided that many of them are actually addicted to the computer. I tried asking them to remove their hand from the mouse, drugs and for many it was a near impossible task. After some strong coercion (pliers and crowbar) I am able to pry it off, this but as soon as I move away to address another case of mouse/palm fusion the initial student snaps back into their preferred position like they’re some kind of memory gel.

They love South Korea over here. I wonder if making articles like this one available for them to read will start to make them think a little about what they’re doing.

OK, I have to get back to teaching again. I just realised that I thought I was talking to my students about the pros and cons of using Access in the real world, when in fact I was on the internet typing this update post.

Internet Addiction Camp – where do I sign up?

Posted via email from RockPortrait in Vietnam